Thai-Style Red Curry with Vegetables
You can adapt this curry however you like by adding shredded chicken or beef, tofu or noodles. This version is just with vegetables and is a great store-cupboard standby for using up veg.
- 3 tbsp peanut oil
- 1 banana shallot, finely chopped
- 2 garlic cloves, finely chopped
- 2cm ginger, grated
- 3 tbsp Herbie’s Red Curry Spice Mix
- 1 tsp tomato paste
- 1 tbsp fish sauce (optional – leave out for vegan)
- 1 tbsp brown sugar
- juice of 1 lime
- 2 tsp tamari
- 400ml coconut milk + 200ml water or stock
- 400g vegetables (we used broccoli, cauliflower and green beans but baby corn, snow peas and zucchini work well too. If using carrots, par boil beforehand)
- herbs such as Vietnamese mint, Thai basil and coriander, to serve
- rice or noodles, to serve
- Heat 2 tbsp of the oil in a wok, add the onion, garlic and ginger and sauté until soft over low-medium heat.
- Increase heat and add last tbsp of oil and spice mix, stirring to combine to make a paste.
- Add tomato paste, fish sauce (if using), sugar, lime juice, tamari, coconut milk and water or stock, then gently bring to a simmer, stirring.
- Add vegetables and cook until just tender then taste for seasoning and serve.