Cuisine: Middle Eastern
Using two of our fabulous new products, rose harissa, and the dark, roasted urfa biber chilli, we have created the perfect shakshouka. We find this meal great for breakfast, brunch, lunch or dinner! If making for breakfast, prepare the sauce the day before so all you need to do is warm through, and pop the eggs in to cook.
- 1 tbsp olive oil
- 1 large red onion, sliced
- 7 red and yellow capsicum (peppers)
- 4 cloves garlic, crushed
- 1½ tsp Herbie’s Rose Harissa
- ½ tsp Herbie’s Ground Cumin
- ½ tsp Herbie’s Urfa Biber Chilli Flakes
- 2 400ml tins chopped tomatoes
- 80g baby spinach
- 6-8 eggs (whether you are allowing 1 or 2 eggs per person)
- parsley and extra urfa biber, to serve
- Add oil to a large deep frying pan with onion, capsicum and garlic. Stir over low heat for 5 minutes, then add spices; stir well.
- Stir through tomatoes and place a lid on the pan, stirring occasionally, for 15-20 minutes, until vegetables are soft. Add spinach until wilted and salt to taste.
- Using the back of a spoon, make indents for the eggs, then crack directly into them. Continue cooking over low heat until eggs are cooked through, about 5-7 minutes. You can speed up this process by returning the lid to pan.
- Serve with a scattering of parsley and extra urfa biber chilli.