Creamy Umami Chicken & Mushrooms
We’ve done our best to harness the elusive ‘fifth’ taste, umami, in our Umami Seasoning Blend. The literal translation of umami in Japanese is perfectly, ‘the essence of deliciousness’ and can often be found in fermented, roasted or pickled foods – but can also include fresh food and pastes. We have a combination of porcini powder, black garlic powder, sweet paprika, tomato powder, white garlic, onion and sea salt in our blend and are yet to find a dish it doesn’t enhance! It works wonders with this chicken and mushroom casserole, which is perfect for serving with mashed potato or a mixture of wild and white rice to soak up the sauce.
- 800g chicken thighs, with skin (trimmed of excess fat)
- 1 small brown onion, finely chopped
- 2 garlic cloves, crushed
- 50ml dry white wine
- 3 tsp Herbie’s Umami Seasoning
- 150g chanterelle mushrooms (or mushrooms of choice, sliced)
- 200ml chicken stock
- 100ml cream
- chopped parsley, to serve
- Use half the umami seasoning to coat the chicken thighs.
- In a casserole or heavy, deep frying pan, cook chicken, skin down on a medium heat for 7-10 minutes until skin has rendered (released fat). Turn and cook for 2 minutes on non-skin side, then set aside.
- Pour out half the oil from pan, then cook onions on low heat until soft. Add garlic and umami seasoning for 2 minutes. Add wine and stir until alcohol has evaporated and it’s reduced by just over half. Add mushrooms to sauté for 3-4 minutes, before adding stock and bringing to a simmer.
- Return chicken to the pan, skin-side up and cover with a lid. Cook on low heat until tender, about 20 minutes.
- Stir through cream 5 minutes before serving, taste for seasoning, and top with some freshly chopped parsley.
Chicken breast can also be used, reducing cooking time accordingly.