Chermoula Celeriac Steak with Mint & Hazelnut Pesto
These celeriac steaks are so hearty and make a great alternative to meat. We have double coated them for max flavour, using our versatile and delicious Chermoula spice mix. The roasting can be done up to 2 days before frying to serve.
- 1 large celeriac, scrubbed
- 250ml (1 cup) plain plant yoghurt (or regular for non-vegan)
- 2 tbsp Herbie’s Chermoula Spice Mix
- 1 tbsp oil
- 1 tsp salt
- 1 large bunch mint, large stems removed
- handful of sorrel or wild garlic, optional
- 100g hazelnuts
- 2 cloves garlic
- 60ml (1/4 cup) olive oil
- salt, to taste
- Pre-heat oven to 160C.
- Combine marinade ingredients and use half of marinade to coat the celeriac.
- Place celeriac on a lined baking tray and bake for 3.5-4 hours until a skewer inserts easily. If the marinade seems to be burning (it will go very dark) reduce heat or cover with foil until tender.
- For pesto, blitz ingredients together and taste for seasoning.
- Once cool enough to handle, cut the celeriac into 1.5-2cm slices and coat slices in remaining marinade.
- Heat a non-stick frying pan with a little oil and fry celeriac steaks for 2 minutes each side until golden.
- Serve immediately with pesto and salad, or keep warm in a low oven.
The smaller ends of the celeriac that don’t make steaks can be whizzed into soup, or blitzed with white beans to make a mash style puree to serve the celeriac on.