Spanish Tapas-Style Chickpeas
Warm tapas is a lot more than calamari and tortilla. This delicious dish, fragrant with saffron, cumin and fresh oregano makes a wonderful warm addition to a tapas meal, or is simply good enough to have on it’s own.
- 2 tbsp olive oil
- 3 cloves garlic, crushed
- 1 tsp Herbie’s Whole Cumin Seeds
- 1 tsp Herbie’s Hot Paprika
- 1/2 tsp Herbie’s Smoked Paprika
- 400g cooked chickpeas
- 500g spinach, blanched in boiling water and drained
- pinch of Herbie’s Saffron (about 40 strands), soaked in 3 tbsp hot water
- 2 tbsp sherry vinegar (or cab sav vinegar)
- 8 sprigs of fresh oregano, leaves picked
- 2 tbsp pine nuts, to serve
- Heat oil in a heavy based pan with garlic, cooking for 2 minutes before adding cumin, chilli and paprika.
- Stir for a further minute to combine then add chickpeas, spinach, saffron with liquid, vinegar and oregano.
- Reduce heat to low and cook for 15 minutes, stirring occasionally. If your chickpeas are particularly dry, you may need to add 1/4 – 1/2 cup water.
- Check for seasoning and serve with pine nuts.
For a shortcut, replace all spices with 2 tsp of Herbie’s Paella Spice Blend