Middle Eastern Traybake Chicken
This is a delicious crowd-pleasing dish that can easily be prepared ahead. The sweet and sour flavour of pomegranate molasses with the warming spices in Baharat is a match made in heaven. Serve with salad and couscous or sweet potato mash. The marinade can also be doubled up and stored in the fridge for 3 weeks.
- 4 cloves garlic, peeled and roughly chopped
- 3 tbsp Herbie’s Pomegranate Molasses
- 2 tbsp Herbie’s Sumac
- 2 tsp Herbie’s Aleppo Pepper Flakes
- 2 tsp Herbie’s Baharat Spice Blend
- 4 tbsp olive oil
- 8 chicken thighs, skin on
- 1 400g can chickpeas, drained
- 1/2 cup fresh pomegranate seeds, to serve (optional)
- 1 cup coriander, leaves and stem, loosely packed
- 1 cup flat leaf parsley, leaves and stem, loosely packed
- 3 sprigs mint (about 20 leaves)
- 1 tbsp freshly squeezed lemon juice (approx 1 lemon)
- 125ml (1/2 cup) Greek yoghurt
- salt, to taste
- Blitz marinade ingredients together or use a pestle and mortar to make a paste. Rub all over chicken – you can marinade overnight at this point if desired.
- Heat oven to 160C.
- Place chicken and chickpeas in a roasting dish and cook for 40 minutes, then increase heat to 200C for 10-15 minutes until chicken is cooked through and nicely coloured.
- Blitz yoghurt dressing ingredients together (can be done up to 2 days in advance and stored in the fridge in a jar) and drizzle over chicken to serve, scattered with pomegranate seeds.
If using chicken breast, halve cooking time