Chorizo & Bean Stew
One pot stews are perfect for cooler days, and this dish benefits from a long, slow cook. We’ve used our Paella Spice Mix in the stew to enhance the Spanish flavours. This is a great dish to prepare ahead and it re-heats well after storing in the fridge or freezing. To make this vegetarian or vegan, simply add one drained can of chickpeas instead of the chorizo and reduce cooking time to 30 minutes.
- 1 tbsp olive oil
- 2 red onions, finely chopped
- 4 cloves garlic, crushed
- 2 red bell peppers (or red capsicum) cut into 2cm pieces
- 60ml (1/4 cup) sherry vinegar
- 2 tbsp Herbie’s Paella Spice Mix
- 2 x 400ml tins crushed tomatoes
- 2 x 400ml tins cannellini beans, drained
- 5 semi-dried chorizo sausages (cooking chorizo), approx 500g, cut into 2cm thick slices
- flat leaf parsley, to serve
- Preheat oven to 120C.
- Sweat onions in olive oil in an ovenproof dish on the stove top over low heat. Add garlic and capsicum once onions are soft.
- Pour in sherry vinegar and stir until evaporated, then add spice mix, tomatoes, beans and 400ml water.
- In a large frying pan over high heat, briefly brown chorizo then add to stew.
- Bring stew to a simmer, stirring, then place in the oven with a lid.
- Cook for 1½ – 2 hours until chorizo is meltingly tender.
- Check for seasoning and serve with parsley.
Check how hot your chorizo is, you may like to add some chilli powder if it is mild.
Alternatively, for a mild dish, replace chorizo with sausage of your choice.