We have maximised the berries in this sorbet by adding the little known Australian native Strawberry Gum (Olida), giving a delicious boost of berry and passionfruit flavour that makes the recipe seem more complex than it is. * If you have a thermomix, simply follow the sorbet recipe, adding 1-2tsp of olida.
|Nutritional Information||Per 100g|
- 400g berries (we used 300g hulled strawberries, 100g raspberries)
- 60g (1/2 cup) caster sugar
- 60ml (1/2 cup) water
- 1½ tsp Herbie’s Strawberry Gum – Olida
- 2 tbsp lemon juice
- 1 large egg white
- Put the sugar and water in a saucepan over a low heat and stir until the sugar has dissolved. Raise the heat and simmer for 5 mins, until it becomes a syrup.
- Blend syrup with berries until smooth (you can sieve at this point or leave seeds in as we did).
- Pour into a wide, shallow tray (like a slice or lamington tin) and place in the freezer. When icicles begin to form around the edges, remove from the freezer and beat with a fork to break up ice crystals.
- Return to freezer and repeat process when icicles begin to form again.
- Next time, beat the egg white until stiff and mix well into the strawberry mixture. When it is thoroughly mixed through, return to freezer and refreeze.