Classic Apple Pie
Our USA distributor called for a specific American apple pie spice blend, and while our mixed spice does the trick nicely in an Aussie apple pie, we’re happy to say that this blend works even better for cooks who want an extra fragrant, spiced apple pie. The blend can also be used in an apple crumble or apple muffins.
- 2kgs Granny Smith apples, peeled and sliced
- 2 tbsp lemon juice
- 150g (3/4 cup) raw sugar
- 3 tsp Herbie’s Apple Pie Spice
- 2 sheets sweet shortcrust pastry
- 1 egg
- 2 tbsp raw sugar, for dusting
- Preheat oven to 180C.
- Combine apples, lemon juice, 150g sugar and apple pie spice and mix well.
- Place one sheet of pastry in a 23cm pie dish, then fill with apples. Cover with second piece of pastry and brush with beaten egg and sprinkle with extra 2 tbsp sugar. Make 5 x 2cm slits in the pastry top to let the steam escape.
- Bake for 50-60 minutes until crust is golden and apples are tender when pierced.
- Serve warm with vanilla ice cream.
If you make your own pastry, a rich sweet shortcrust or flaky pie pastry will both work well.