Serves: 2 breads 2 cups dip
This wonderful Turkish dip with roast capsicum, walnuts, bread, pomegranate molasses and spices has an amazing flavour and is always a hit. While not benefitting from the addition of yeast, this quick flatbread is very easy and a great accompaniment to the dip.
If you have time, roasting your own capsicums over a gas flame or bbq will give an excellent result, although jarred capsicums work well too, just rinse off the brine before using.
- 150g shelled walnuts
- 300g roast capsicums (approx 4) 60g sourdough bread (1 thick slice) 1 small garlic clove
- 1 tbsp lemon juice
- ½ tsp Herbie’s Harissa Mix (or to taste)
- 5 tbsp (45ml) olive oil
- 1 tbsp Herbie’s Pomegranate Molasses
- 1 tbsp Herbie’s Nigella Seeds, to serve
- 110g (1 cup) bread flour
- 2 tbsp oil
- 80ml (1/3 cup) water
- 1 tsp salt
- pinch caster sugar
- ½ tspHerbie’s Za’atar plus 1 tsp extra for dusting
- Pre-heat oven to 220C
- Place flour, salt, sugar and ½ tsp za’atar in a bowl. Combine oil and water then add to flour. Mix with your hands to form a dough then turn onto a floured surface and knead for 3-4 minutes until smooth (dough can be set aside at this stage). Halve and flatten out with a rolling pin into two long breads 2mm thick. Drizzle with oil and extra za’atar and bake for 7-10 minutes until golden and crisp. Cut into 5cm strips and serve immediately.
- For dip, place all ingredients except nigella seeds into a food processor a pulse until combined, it does not need to be smooth. Taste for seasoning and serve with nigella seeds on top and extra oil if desired.
- Leftover dip can be kept in an airtight container in the fridge for 1 week.