Lamb Rogan Josh
As it’s starting to cool down here, we’ll be making this delicious, rich & tomatoey rogan josh to keep us warm. It is best when slow cooked in a cast iron pot, and is a great meal to make the day before eating.
- 1kg lamb shoulder off the bone, excess fat removed and cut into roughly 5cm pieces
- 400g plain yoghurt
- 2 tbsp Herbie’s Rogan Josh Spice Blend
- 3 tbsp ghee, coconut oil or vegetable oil
- 6 brown onions, peeled and finely diced (or chopped in a food processor)
- 6 cloves garlic, crushed
- 3/4 cup tomato paste/puree
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 1/2 cup fresh coriander leaves, to serve
- Preheat oven to 120C.
- Combine lamb, yoghurt and spice mix in a bowl and leave for at least 15 minutes (or up to 24hrs).
- Heat the ghee or oil and cook onions over medium heat for 20-30 minutes until softened and golden.
- Add garlic for 5 minutes, then stir in the yoghurt coated lamb plus all the marinade.
- Add tomato paste and salt, and bring to a simmer, while stirring.
- Place lid on the cooking pot and cook in the oven for 2.5-3 hours until meat is very tender. If cooking the day before, simply turn off the oven and leave the dish in overnight.
- Serve with fresh coriander leaves (and fresh tomatoes to garnish if desired), saffron rice and poppadoms.