Orange & Almond Love Cake
There are many versions of this popular Persian-style love cake, and we have used the popular, versatile and exotic blend of Fragrant Sweet Spices in ours. Using plain, thick Greek yoghurt makes a wonderful and healthy alternative to icing, however simply add 1 tbsp of sifted icing sugar if you prefer a sweeter topping.
- 250g unsalted butter, softened
- 150g caster sugar
- 4 eggs
- 1/2 teaspoon vanilla extract
- juice and zest from one orange
- 225g ground almonds
- 120g self raising flour
- 1/2 teaspoon baking powder
- 2 tsp Herbie’s Fragrant Sweet Spices
- 250g thick Greek yoghurt, for icing
- pistachios and orange zest, for topping (optional)
- Pre-heat oven to 170C.
- Cream butter and sugar together until pale and fluffy
- Add eggs one at a time, beating in between
- Fold in vanilla, orange zest and juice, almonds, flour and baking powder and stir until combined and smooth
- Pour into a greased and lined 23cm springform baking pan
- Bake for 25-40 minutes until golden and a skewer comes out clean when inserted.
- Cool on a wire rack before topping with yoghurt and pistachios and orange zest.