Kashmiri Curry MasalaBasaar
A hot and spicy curry masala (blend) used in Kashmiri dishes using lamb or goat.
Other Common Names
Description & Use
A deliciously rich curry blend that can be used as a general curry, or used to make this rich Lamb Curry.
Blended and packed in Australia from imported and local ingredients.
Nutrition information applies only to spice blend.
KASHMIRI-STYLE RICH LAMB CURRY
4 Tablespoons vegetable oil
2 medium onions, peeled and sliced thinly
1 Tablespoon crushed garlic (approx 8 cloves)
2 teaspoons grated ginger
2 medium tomatoes, chopped
1 Tablespoon Kashmiri Curry Masala ‘Basaar’ spice blend
1 teaspoon salt
750g bone-in lamb shoulder, cut into chunks (or use forequarter chops)
½ cup tomato paste
- Place the oil in a deep pan that has a lid, over medium-high heat.
- Add onions, and cook, stirring occasionally, for 10 minutes until starting to colour.
- Add the garlic and cook another minute, then add ginger and tomatoes.
- Stir in a couple of tablespoons of water, cover and cook 3-4 minutes, stirring occasionally.
- Add spice mix and salt.
- Add a little more water if the mixture sticks to the bottom of the pan.
- Cook, stirring occasionally, for 5 minutes.
- Add the chunks of lamb to the pan and allow to seal on all sides.
- Add 2-3 cups of water (enough to cover) and stir in the tomato paste.
- Cook over low heat, covered, for about two hours or until bones lift away from the meat.
- Remove the lid for the final ten minutes to allow gravy to reduce slightly before serving with saffron rice.
Kashmiri chilli powder, ground cumin seeds, ground coriander seeds, turmeric alleppey ground, ground black pepper, hot chilli powder, ground ginger, ground cinnamon quills, ground fenugreek seed, ground caraway seeds, ground green cardamom seeds, ground cloves, asafoetida (compounded with rice flour and gum Arabic), ground methi (fenugreek leaves), dagar phool