Gumbo File PowderSassafras Leaf Powder
The ingredient that gives Gumbo it’s characteristic consistency.
Other Common Names
Sassafras Leaf, Gumbo filé. Botanical Name: (Sassafras officinalis)
Description & Use
This pale green powder is the traditional ingredient that gives gumbo its characteristic ‘gummy’ consistency. Filé powder should be added towards the end of cooking and should not be re-heated, as it will break down and become stringy.
Produce of USA packed in Australia.
SEAFOOD GUMBO RECIPE
1 Tablespoon vegetable oil
1 Tablespoon flour
1 small onion, finely diced
½ green capsicum, diced
2 cloves garlic, crushed
1 large tomato, seeded and chopped
¼ cup tomato puree
10 small okra, chopped
1 litre fish stock
1 Tablespoon Herbie’s Cajun Seasoning
½ teaspoon dried thyme leaves
1 bay leaf
200g shelled & deveined green prawns
200g crab meat
1 teaspoon file powder
- Make a roux with oil and flour, add onion, capsicum and garlic.
- Saute until onion is transparent, then add tomatoes and puree, cook for 5 minutes.
- Add seasonings and salt and pepper, cook a further 5 minutes, then add stock.
- Bring to a simmer, reduce heat and simmer 30 minutes.
- Add seafood.
- Mix file powder with a cup of stock, then stir into the gumbo.
- Serve in bowls over cooked white rice.
- DO NOT REHEAT after file is added, as the gumbo will become stringy.