Makes the delicious Indian lentil and vegetable broth known as Sambar. Serve with rice.
Other Common Names
Lentil & Vegetable Stew.
Description & Use
Sambar is a wonderfully tasty lentil soup, that is ladled over rice and often accompanies curries in South Indian and Sri Lankan cooking. Sambar powder makes a delicious coating on seafood, simply dust the fish with Herbie’s Spices Sambar Powder, and then pan fry until cooked.
Blended and packed in Australia from imported and local ingredients.
Nutrition information applies only to spice blend.
- 1 cup lentils or split peas soaked and cooked in 4 cups water until very soft
- 2 Tablespoons mustard or vegetable oil
- 2 Tablespoons Sambar Powder
- 2 cups vegetables chopped into 1 cm dices
- 1 tsp salt
- Heat oil in large saucepan and stir in sambar powder.
- When it binds to a paste, add vegtetables and stir-fry to coat.
- Pour in 2 cups water and salt, cover and simmer until vegetables are cooked.
- Add mushy lentils, simmer another five minutes.
- Serve in large bowls over hot steamed rice, garnished with fresh coriander leaves.
Vary the vegetable type to change the style of sambar to suit your taste.
Coriander Seed, Chana Dhal (Besan Flour, Chick Pea Flour), Cumin Seed, Black Pepper, Salt, Fenugreek Seed, Amchur, Brown Mustard, Chilli, Cinnamon Quills, Turmeric, Curry Leaves, Asafoetida (compounded with rice flour)