Risotto Spice Blend
A special blend of selected herbs & spices for seasoning Risotto.
Description & Use
Use two teaspoons per three cups of stock using your favourite Risotto recipe, or make one using the recipe below or the one on the pack that serves 2.
Blended and packed in Australia from imported and local ingredients.
Nutrition information applies only to spice blend.
SPRING VEGETABLE RISOTTO
- 3 cups chicken stock
- 2 teaspoons Herbie’s Spices Risotto spice mix
- 1 small onion, finely chopped
- 2 cups sliced Swiss Brown mushrooms*
- 2 Tablespoons olive oil
- 1 cup Arborio rice
- ½ cup grated Parmesan
- ½ cup fresh shelled peas (or frozen)
- Add the Risotto spice mix to the stock and keep simmering in a small saucepan.
- In a heavy-based saucepan, heat the oil and add the finely chopped onion.
- Stir 60-90 seconds, then add the rice, stirring to coat each grain with oil.
- Add a ladle full of stock and the mushrooms and fresh peas, stirring constantly until most of the liquid is absorbed. (If using frozen peas, add them with the Parmesan, later.)
- Add another ladle full of stock, stirring almost constantly. Continue to add stock, making sure that each batch of the stock is fully absorbed before adding the next.
- You will notice the risotto change to become thick and creamy towards the end of the cooking time. Taste a grain of rice to see whether it is properly cooked.
- Stir in the Parmesan, peas if frozen, and taste for seasoning, which will depend on the saltiness of your stock.
- You may not need all of the stock – the risotto should be “sloppy” rather than dry, but not too wet.
- Serve immediately.
*Substitute asparagus for mushrooms if you prefer
Black Garlic Powder, Onion, Coriander Seed, Paprika Sweet, Garlic, Paprika Smoked, Porcini Mushroom Powder, Pepper Black, Parsley, Thyme