Massaman Curry Powder
A blend of spices for making an authentic tasting Massaman curry.
Description & Use
This is a Thai curry powder with a difference: instead of the expected light, sharp flavors we often see in Thai green and red curries, Massaman curry powder borrows its heritage from a distinctly Malay influence. This combination of deep-flavored spices combined with galangal and star anise, usually seen in Malay and Indian curries, results in a sumptuous, rich satisfying curry.
Blended and packed in Australia from imported and local ingredients.
Nutrition information refers only to spice blend.
MASSAMAN BEEF CURRY
600 g chuck steak trimmed and cubed
2 Tablespoons peanut oil
2 Tablespoons Herbie’s Spices Masaman curry powder
2 Tablespoons coconut cream
1 Herbie’s Spices candle nut
1 large potato peeled and cubed
1 cup coconut milk;
1 cup chicken stock
2 Tablespoons gula melaka or brown sugar
1/2 cup roasted unsalted peanuts
1 tsp salt
- Finely grate candle nut and brown gently in a dry pan.
- Set aside.
- Heat oil, add beef cubes and seal on all sides – remove to plate.
- Add coconut cream and curry powder to pan, heat one minute.
- Add beef with juices, candle nut, potato, coconut milk, stock, gula melaka and peanuts, and simmer, covered, for 90 minutes.
- Remove lid and continue to simmer another 30 minutes until meat is tender and sauce is fairly thick.
coriander seed, cumin, fennel, turmeric, paprika, ginger, chilli, galangal, cassia, star anise, cardamom