Vegan Tagine with Chickpeas & Olives
You won’t miss meat in this hearty, healthy and very easy to make tagine. Serve with couscous or cauliflower rice, and leftovers can go into a pastry-topped pie or be frozen. This would also make a perfect side dish to a roast harissa lamb or chicken.
- 1 kg cooked, drained chickpeas
- 2 x 400ml tins chopped tomatoes
- 2 tbsp Herbie’s Ras El Hanout
- 1 preserved lemon, rind only, finely chopped
- 3 carrots, peeled and cut into 2cm pieces
- 1/2 cup white quinoa
- 200g large green olives
- 50g spinach
- flaked almonds and coriander leaves to serve, optional
- In a large casserole dish, combine chickpeas, tomatoes, ras el hanout, preserved lemon, carrots and quinoa.
- Simmer over medium-low heat, stirring occasionally, until carrots are tender; about 20 minutes. Add olives and spinach and cook for a further 5 minutes.
- Season to taste and serve with almonds and coriander.