Vegan Pulled BBQ Jackfruit Bowl
Whether you’re vegan, taking part in Veganuary, or just wanting to cut down on meat this pulled jackfruit is a revelation. With our homemade bbq sauce, it has all the flavour of pulled pork, and is also great in a burger bun or wrap. Jackfruit is readily available in jars or tins in the supermarket, or find instructions online on how to prepare from scratch.
- 1 400ml tin of crushed tomatoes
- 2 tbsp Herbie’s American Spicy BBQ Rub
- 4 tbsp apple cider vinegar
- 2 tbsp maple syrup
- 2 tbsp soy sauce
- 1 tsp Herbie’s Garlic Powder
- 400g tinned or jarred jackfruit, drained
- 4 cups cooked brown rice
- 1/4 red cabbage, finely sliced
- 2 avocados
- pinch Herbie’s Aleppo Pepper
- handful coriander
- 2 limes
- 125ml (1/2 cup) vegan sour cream, cashew cream or coconut yoghurt
- 1 tbsp hemp seeds, to serve (optional)
- For jackfruit, combine all ingredients except jackfruit in a saucepan and simmer over low heat for 20 minutes. Meanwhile, ‘pull’ the jackfruit pieces with your fingers so it resembles the texture of pulled meat, then add to sauce and simmer for a further 5 minutes. Taste for seasoning.
- For bowl, mash avocados with aleppo pepper and juice of 1/2 a lime and season to taste. Toss cabbage with half the coriander and another 1/2 lime.
- Assemble bowl with hot rice, cabbage, avocado, jackfruit, vegan cream of choice, a lime quarter, remaining coriander and hemp seeds (if using).