Thai Rice Lettuce Cups
This is a fun way to have fried rice, and by using Herbie’s Thai Spice Mix it is a bit different to a regular fried rice. Or you can easily use Herbie’s Chinese 5 Spice or Herbie’s Nasi Goreng Spice Mix for a more classic flavour. For non vegetarian option, add some fresh prawns.
- 500g cooked jasmine or brown rice, chilled until cold
- 1 tbsp sesame oil
- 2 tbsp Herbie’s Thai Spice Mix
- 1 carrot, peeled and cut into dice
- 2 tbsp vegetable oil
- 100g sugar snow or snow peas, sliced
- 1/2 cup frozen peas
- 2 tbsp light soy sauce
- 2 tbsp fish sauce (optional for vegetarian option)
- 2 eggs, lightly beaten (optional for vegan option)
- 4 spring onions, sliced
- 1 lime, quartered, to serve
- 2–3 heads baby gem lettuce
- coriander or Thai basil, to serve
- fresh chilli or sriracha, to serve
- Heat oil over medium heat in a large frying pan or wok, add spice mix and stir to combine, then add rice and carrots and increase heat.
- Continue to stir-fry, adding vegetable oil for a few minutes, then add in the peas, soy and fish sauce (if using) and eggs. Keep stirring as egg cooks, for about 5 minutes then taste for seasoning.
- Serve immediately with lettuce, herbs, lime and chilli or cool, cover and chill to eat within two days.