Spanish Chorizo & Bean Stew
One pot stews are perfect for cooler days, and this dish benefits from a long, slow cook. We’ve used our Paella Spice Mix in the stew to enhance the Spanish flavours. This is a great dish to prepare ahead and it re-heats well after storing in the fridge or freezing.
- 1 tbsp olive oil
- 2 red onions, finely chopped
- 4 cloves garlic, crushed
- 2 red bell peppers (or red capsicum) cut into 2cm pieces
- 60ml (1/4 cup) sherry vinegar
- 2 tbsp Herbie’s Paella Spice Mix
- 2 x 400ml tins crushed tomatoes
- 2 x 400ml tins cannellini beans, drained
- 5 semi-dried chorizo sausages (cooking chorizo), approx 500g, cut into 2cm thick slices
- flat leaf parsley, to serve
- Preheat oven to 120C.
- Sweat onions in olive oil in an ovenproof dish on the stove top over low heat. Add garlic and capsicum once onions are soft.
- Pour in sherry vinegar and stir until evaporated, then add spice mix, tomatoes, beans and 400ml water.
- In a large frying pan over high heat, briefly brown chorizo then add to stew.
- Bring stew to a simmer, stirring, then place in the oven with a lid.
- Cook for 1 1/2 – 2 hours until chorizo is meltingly tender.
- Check for seasoning and serve with parsley.
Check how hot your chorizo is, you may like to add some chilli powder if it is mild.
Alternatively, for a mild dish, replace chorizo with sausage of your choice.