Sichuan Pepper Tofu
The combination of tangy Sichuan Pepper and Chinese Five Spice make this an irresistible dish. You could easily swap out the tofu and/or eggplant for any kind of meat or seafood you like, but we really love this vegan option.
- 400g firm tofu, cut into 1–2cm squares
- 150g eggplant, cut into 1–2cm squares
- 5 tbsp light soy sauce
- 1 tbsp rice wine vinegar
- 1 tbsp freshly grated ginger
- 1 tsp Herbie’s Whole Sichuan Pepper, lightly crushed
- 1 tsp Herbie’s Chinese Five Spice
- 1 tbsp vegetable oil
- Chinese greens, mushrooms, or broccoli, to serve
- Spring onions and sesame seeds, to serve
- Place tofu and eggplant in a shallow dish or tray, or plastic bag. Combine soy, rice wine vinegar, ginger and spices in a bowl and pour over tofu and eggplant. Marinade for up to 1 day (although can be cooked straight away).
- Heat oil in a large heavy based frying pan and brown tofu and eggplant on all sides, while cooking desired greens for accompaniment. Pour over any remaining marinade when serving.
Keywords: Vegan, Tofu, Chinese, Chinese Five Spice, Healthy Meals, Spices, Chinese Spices