Sausages with French Braised Lentils
This hearty lentil dish is flavoured by a classic combination of herbs in our bouquet garni infusion ball, and makes a great winter weeknight dinner. Puy lentils are a distinctive, nutty green lentil from France and widely available.
- 1 tbsp olive oil
- 1/2 brown onion, finely chopped
- 3 cloves garlic, crushed
- 150g streaky bacon, cut into 1cm strips
- 1 small carrot, peeled and cut into .5mm dice
- 500g puy lentils
- 1 Herbie’s Spices Bouquet Garni Infusion Ball
- 1 400ml tin crushed tomatoes
- 500ml chicken stock
- 150g baby spinach
- 12 good quality sausages
- Heat oil in a heavy based saucepan and fry onion for a few minutes until soft, before adding garlic, carrot and bacon. Cook until bacon is lightly browned, then add lentils, bouquet garni, tomatoes and stock.
- Simmer, stirring occasionally, for 35-40 minutes until lentils are tender and stock has reduced.
- Add spinach to the lentils, stirring until wilted. Remove infusion ball and, check for seasoning and keep warm while cooking sausages.
- Cook sausages on a grill or barbecue and serve with warm lentils.
Try using Toulouse, Chorizo or Merguez sausages
Leftover lentils are great for making puff pastry pasties