Spiced Pear Salad Dressing
Our Christmas table isn’t complete without this divine salad. The pear dressing includes fragrant & festive cardamom, star anise, cinnamon and cloves, which pairs with peppery rocket, tangy parmesan and fresh pears, figs and pomegranates perfectly. We find it also complements our Christmas ham unbelievably well, and little jars of the dressing make a lovely gift at this time of year. There is so much flavour in the dressing, you can simply serve the rocket with dressing without any other additions if you like!
- 4 conference pears
- 2 Herbie’s Whole Cardamom Pods, bruised
- 2 Herbie’s Whole Star Anise
- 1 quill Herbie’s Cinnamon
- 6 Herbie’s Whole Cloves
- 200g caster sugar
- 250ml white wine vinegar
- 200g wild rocket leaves
- 1 pear, cored and sliced
- seeds of 1 small pomegranate
- 6 fresh figs, quartered
- handful of walnuts, roughly chopped
- parmesan shavings, to serve
- For dressing; peel, core and cut pears into 3cm pieces. Place in a saucepan with spices, sugar and vinegar. Heat slowly, stirring until sugar dissolves, then simmer until pears are very tender, about 15 minutes.
- Push the pears through a sieve into a bowl, and discard remains. Once cool, the dressing can be stored in a jar in the fridge for up to three months.
- Use about 125ml (1/2 cup) of dressing to coat rocket leaves, then arrange salad. Top with a drizzle more dressing if desired.