Ratatouille is a great dish year round, whether room temperature at a summer barbecue or piping hot in winter. If making in summer, use fresh tomatoes for a slightly lighter flavour. The addition of a little saffron adds some sunshine to an already great tasting dish. If you would like to turn this into a pasta sauce, add 1 tbsp of our new Risotto Spice Blend or Italian Herbs.
- 4 eggplant, cut into 5cm pieces
- 6 zucchini, cut into 5cm pieces
- 4 red & yellow capsicum, cut into 5cm pieces
- 2 red onions, peeled and cut into 8 wedges
- 1 head of garlic
- 680ml passata or 8 large ripe tomatoes, chopped
- 60ml (1/4) cup olive oil
- 2 tsp sea salt
- ½ tsp Herbie’s Kashmiri Saffron, soaked in 1 tbsp warm water
- ½ tsp Herbie’s Thyme Leaves
- fresh basil, to serve
- Pre-heat oven to 180C.
- Place vegetables on roasting trays without overlapping too much (this will be at least 3 trays worth), drizzle with olive oil and sprinkle over salt.
- Roast for 45 minutes until vegetables are softened.
- Add vegetables with passata, thyme and saffron to a large casserole dish. Push the soft, roasted garlic cloves out of the skin and stir through.
- Simmer for 15-20 minutes and taste for seasoning.
- Serve with fresh basil leaves.