Indian Style Mussels
This sauce has a lovely tangy taste thanks to the tamarind, and works well with all types of seafood. We can recommend trying it with large king prawns.
- 1 kg mussels, scrubbed and beards removed
- 1 small brown onion, finely chopped
- 1 tbsp vegetable oil
- 2 green chillies, deseeded and finely chopped
- 2 cloves garlic, crushed
- 1 1/2 tsp Herbie’s Ground Cumin
- 1 tsp Herbie’s Ground Coriander
- 1 tsp Herbie’s Ground Turmeric
- 1 tsp Herbie’s Garam Masala
- 1 tsp Herbie’s Gula Melaka
- 12 Herbie’s Curry Leaves
- 4 tbsp Herbie’s Tamarind Concentrate dissolved in 200ml boiling water
- 2 large tomatoes, cut into 1cm dice
- roti or naan bread to serve, optional
- Add onion and oil to a large saucepan or wok and cook over low heat for 5 minutes, until onion is soft. Add chillies and garlic and cook for another minute. Add dry spices for a further minute until fragrant, then add tamarind water and tomatoes. Simmer for 20 minutes then check for seasoning.
- Turn heat up and add mussels to the pan or wok and place a lid on top. Stir once or twice and cook until all the mussels have opened, about 8 minutes. Discard any mussels which have not opened.
- Serve immediately with roti or naan bread, if using.