Middle Eastern Chickpea Fries
A delicious alternative to potato fries, topped with pomegranate molasses, yoghurt, sumac, urfa biber and parsley. Use the same method to make an Italian version topped with Italian herbs, porcini powder, lemon juice, olive oil and chilli flakes. This dish makes a lovely healthy weekend snack or side dish, and kids love them too.
- 1 L (4 cups) water
- 230g (2 cups) chickpea/gram flour, sifted
- 2 tsp salt
- 1/4 tsp Herbie’s Ground Cumin
- 3 tbsp olive oil
- 1/2 tsp Herbie’s Sumac
- 1/2 tsp Herbie’s Urfa Biber Red Pepper Flakes
- 2 tbsp coconut yoghurt (vegan) or thin natural yoghurt
- 1 tbsp Herbie’s Pomegranate Molasses
- handful of chopped parsley
- handful of pomegranate seeds
- Bring water to the boil, then whisk in flour. Turn off heat and continue whisking for 3 minutes, until liquid absorbed.
- Line a 35 x 25cm baking tray and pour in chickpea mixture.
- Chill for 30 mins until firm. Preheat oven to 220C.
- Remove from the fridge and with a sharp knife cut into chips (in half once horizontally, then into 1cm vertical strips).
- Place with a little space between on two lined baking trays and brush with olive oil.
- Bake for 10 minutes, turn over and bake for a further 10 minutes.
- Serve with all or your choice of toppings.