Mexican Carrot Soup
One of the highlights of our trip to Mexico was discovering soup with the addition of slices of avocado and soft cheese. Adding them just before serving, they warm and melt into the soup for a divine experience. The Mexican cheese is called queso asadero, but plain mozzarella works just as well. If the chipotle powder garnish is too hot for you, sprinkle with smoked paprika instead.
- 1 brown onion, finely chopped
- 1 tsp Herbie’s Mexican Spice Blend
- 1kg carrots, peeled and chopped into chunks
- 1.2 L chicken or vegetable stock
- 1 ripe avocados, peeled and sliced
- 250g firm mozzarella (not buffalo), cut into 1cm dice
- 1 cup fresh coriander leaves
- crème fraiche or sour cream, to serve
- Herbie’s Chipotle Powder, to serve
- toasted corn tortillas, to serve, optional
- Sweat the onions, covered, in a little oil until soft. Add spices for 1 minute, then add carrots and stock. Simmer for 30 minutes, or until carrots are very tender.
- Puree soup until smooth, and season to taste.
- Divide avocado and mozzarella between shallow soup bowls, then ladle over soup. Add a dollop of crème fraiche and garnish with coriander leaves and chipotle powder and serve immediately.