There couldn’t be a more irresistible curry than Butter Chicken, and this recipe makes an often complicated dish very simple.
- 1kg chicken breast, cut into 5cm pieces
- 1 packet Herbie’s Spices Butter Chicken Spice Mix
- 1 tbsp butter
- 375g plain yoghurt
- 3 cloves garlic, crushed
- 2 brown onions, pureed or grated
- 2 tbsp tomato sauce
- 1 tbsp soft brown sugar
- 1 tbsp tomato paste
- 1 tbsp mango chutney
- 1 tbsp ground almonds
- 200ml single cream
- 85ml coconut milk
- ½ cup fresh coriander leaves, to serve
- 2 tbsp flaked almonds, to serve
- Mix half of the spice mix with yoghurt and coat chicken pieces thoroughly. Refrigerate for 4 hours or overnight.
- Remove from marinade (reserving marinade) and cook under a hot grill for 5 minutes each side to char.
- Melt butter in a heavy pan, add garlic and onion and cook for 2-3 minutes over medium heat, then add reserved marinade and remaining spices along with tomato paste, tomato sauce, chutney, sugar and ground almonds. Cook gently for 5 minutes, then add chicken and any grill drippings. Stir in cream, coconut milk and salt to taste and simmer for 10 minutes until chicken is cooked through and sauce thickened.
- Serve with steamed basmati rice, fresh coriander and flaked almonds.