Herby Polenta Muffins
These are great for breakfast, brunch, lunch or picnics and freeze well. The polenta adds a lovely crunch and we have used our Roast Vegetable Herb Mix, but any of our herb blends (Italian Herbs, Mixed Herbs, Herbes de Provence) would work well, and it’s easy to add other cheeses or vegetables if so desired.
- 275g self raising flour
- 50g polenta
- 1 tsp baking powder
- 1 tsp Herbie’s Smoked Paprika
- 1 tsp Herbie’s Roast Vegetable Herb Mix
- 1 tsp salt
- 300 mL buttermilk
- 2 eggs, lightly whisked
- 70g cheddar cheese, grated
- 100ml vegetable oil
- 1 zucchini, grated and excess moisture squeezed out
- for tin:
- ½ cup polenta (cornmeal)
- 2 tbsp melted butter
- Preheat oven to 180C. Grease a 12 hole muffin tin with melted butter and tip polenta into holes and shake around to coat the butter then turn tin upside down to remove excess.
- Mix dry ingredients into a large bowl. In a separate bowl, mix eggs, milk, oil, cheese and zucchini. Slowly pour wet mixture into dry, stirring with a wooden spoon until incorporated and smooth. Pour mixture into prepared tin and bake for 15-20 minutes until muffins are risen and golden. Cool in tray for 5 minutes before turning out onto a wire rack.