Serves: 1 cup
We are thrilled to now stock the delicious and ubiquitous Mexican chile de arbol. It’s most well known use is in this fiery salsa, but can be used as any of the dried Mexican chillies are by adding to soups and stews. Having this salsa to hand will transform any taco night.. guaranteed! Don’t forget our guacamole mix to complete the party.
- 2 tsp vegetable oil
- ½ red onion, roughly chopped
- 4 cloves garlic, peeled and roughly chopped
- 1 packet Herbie’s Chilli de Arbol, stems removed
- 4 ripe red tomatoes, quartered
- 1 tsp apple cider vinegar
- ½ tsp salt
- Heat oil in a heavy based frying pan and add onion and garlic for 3-4 minutes until lightly browned, then add chillies and tomatoes for a further 3-4 until also browned.
- Puree mixture with a stick blender or in the small bowl of a food processor with salt and vinegar. Once cool, store in a jar in the fridge for up to 3 months.
- (For a milder salsa, shake out the seeds from chillies before cooking, and add more tomatoes)