This incredibly tasty curry has the X factor with the addition of ‘dagar phool’, a lichen cultivated for culinary use in India.
- 2 tbsp vegetable oil
- 2 tbsp Herbie’s Spices Chettinad Mix
- 1 small brown onion, finely chopped
- 4 cloves garlic, crushed
- 1 tbsp freshly grated ginger
- 1 cup water
- 1 tsp salt
- 1 tsp sugar
- 20 curry leaves
- 4 blue eye cod fillets
- steamed basmati rice, to serve
- Heat oil in a large deep frying pan and add spice mix. Stir for one minute before adding onion. Cook over low heat for 5 minutes until softened.
- Add garlic, ginger, salt, sugar and curry leaves and cook for a further 5 minutes before adding water.
- Place fish fillets into the sauce presentation side down and cook for 4-5 minutes (depending on thickness) then turn over to finish cooking. Keep spooning the sauce over the fish as it cooks.
- Serve with steamed basmati rice.