Black Garlic Marinade
The heavenly sweet sticky black garlic makes the perfect base for a marinade or dressing. There is so much umami here it will go with just about anything. Add extra oil to make a delicious dressing for a lentil salad (recipe guide below), or replace the oil with butter and chill to make a wonderful spiced butter for roasted and grilled meats and vegetables, particularly large roast mushrooms.
- 2 tsp Black Garlic powder
- 4 T light soy
- 4 T olive oil
- 2 T honey
- 1 tsp Herbie’s Urfa Biber
- 1 tsp Herbie’s Porcini Powder
- 1/2 tsp Herbie’s Hungarian Paprika
- 1/2 tsp Herbie’s Ground Coriander
- 12 chicken drumsticks or thighs (skin on)
- micro-herbs, to serve (optional)
- lentil salad:
- 250g green (puy) lentils, cooked until tender and rinsed
- 2 beetroot (julienned or grated if raw, cut into 2cm squares if cooked)
- 1/2 portion of dressing above + 2 tbsp olive oil
- labne, feta, haloumi or goat’s cheese
- micro-herbs & pomegranate seeds, to serve
- Pre-heat oven to 180C.
- Combine Black Garlic Powder with the next 7 listed ingredients. Either shake together in a jar, or for a smoother paste, blitz in the small bowl of a food processor.
- Take the marinade and rub all over chicken, gently lifting the skin and pushing some under there too.
- Place chicken pieces on a lined baking tray and roast for 30 minutes until cooked through.
- Serve immediately, or allow to cool before refrigerating (great for picnics!)
Marinade will keep in an airtight container in the fridge for 2 weeks.