Barramundi & Broccoli Fish Cakes
Our Fish Cake Spice Mix is a tangy combo of coriander, sumac fennel, mace, ginger, lemon myrtle, dill, parsley and Australian native pepperberry, The blend makes whipping up fish cakes a breeze, and not to mention extremely tasty. You can easily substitute the barramundi fillets for a firm white fish such as snapper, hake, ling, perch, cod or sea bass, and we can guarantee these will become a family favourite in no time.
- 400g (3) barramundi fillets
- 500ml (2 cups) milk
- 150g broccoli, cooked and drained
- 450g (2) potatoes
- 1 tbsp butter
- 1 egg, beaten
- 1 tsp finely grated lemon zest
- 1 tbsp Herbies Fish Cake Spice Mix
- 30g (¼ cup) breadcrumbs, plus extra for coating
- rice bran or vegetable oil, for cooking
- Place fish fillets skin side up in a deep pan and cover with milk. Bring to a gentle boil over low-medium heat then turn off heat and allow fish to continue cooking for 10 minutes.
- Peel and cut the potatoes into chunks and cook until tender. Mash with butter and season to taste.
- Chop the cooked broccoli finely and stir into the mash along with the egg, lemon zest, spice mix and ¼ cup breadcrumbs.
- Remove cooked fish from milk and discard skin. Flake the fish into the mash mixture, removing any bones.
- Stir to combine well then shape into 12 medium fish cakes. Once shaped, toss in extra breadcrumbs. Fish cakes can be placed on a lined baking tray, covered and refrigerated for up to 24 hours before cooking.
- To cook, heat oil in a large frying pan and cook fish cakes for 3–4 minutes per side, until golden then drain on kitchen paper towel before serving with a wedge of lemon and salad or wilted spinach.
Serving & nutrition based on 3 fishcakes per person
Keywords: fish, barramundi, fish spices, fish cakes, healthy