These healthy and delicious fish cakes are great for the whole family for lunch or dinner.
- 3 barramundi fillets (approx 400g total)
- 500ml milk
- 6 florets broccoli, cooked until tender and drained
- 2 white potatoes (450g)
- 1 tbsp butter
- 1 egg, beaten
- 1 tsp finely grated lemon zest
- 1 tbsp Herbie’s Spices Fish Cake Spice Mix
- ¼ cup breadcrumbs, plus extra for coating
- rice bran or vegetable oil, for cooking
- green salad or wilted spinach and lemon wedges, to serve
- Place fish fillets skin side up in a deep pan and cover with milk. Bring to a gentle boil over low-medium heat then turn off heat and allow fish to continue cooking for 10 minutes.
- Peel and cut potato into chunks and boil in salted water until tender. Mash with butter and season to taste.
- Chop cooked broccoli finely and stir into the mash along with egg, lemon zest, spice mix and breadcrumbs.
- Remove cooked fish from milk and discard skin. Flake the fish into the mash mixture, removing any bones.
- Stir to combine well then shape into 12 medium sized fish cakes or 8 large fish cakes. Once shaped, toss in extra breadcrumbs. Fish cakes can be placed on a lined baking tray, covered and refrigerated for up to 24 hours before cooking.
- To cook, heat 2mm of oil in a large frying pan and cook fish cakes for 3-4 minutes per side, until golden then drain on paper towel before serving.