Orange, Raspberry & Rose Galettes
These free-form galettes work with any combination of fruit; use regular oranges if blood oranges aren’t in season, or plums. The combination of cardamom and rose gives an exotic flavour to this dessert.
- 350g white spelt flour
- 225g unsalted butter, cold
- 1/2 tsp Herbie’s Vanilla Powder
- 1 tbsp raw sugar
- 120g creme fraiche
- 8 blood oranges, peeled and cut into rounds
- 2 punnets raspberries
- 2 tbsp raw sugar
- 1/2 tsp Herbie’s Ground Cardamom
- 1 egg yolk
- to serve:
- 200ml creme fraiche
- 1 tbsp Herbie’s Rosewater
- 2 tbsp Herbie’s Dried Rose Petals, to decorate
- For pastry, combine flour, butter, vanilla and sugar in a food processor and pulse until it resembles breadcrumbs. Add creme fraiche and pulse until a dough forms, then press into a disc and wrap in cling film. Chill until firm (30-40 mins)
- Mix oranges, raspberries, sugar and cardamom in a bowl and leave to macerate at room temperature.
- Preheat oven to 180C. When firm, cut pastry into 6 pieces and roll to coin thickness using extra flour to prevent sticking. Cut pastry into 14cm circles (small pyrex bowl works well)
- Place fruit in centre of pastry leaving 2cm edges, then fold edges 5 times.
- Brush with egg yolk and sprinkle extra sugar on top.
- Bake for 20 minutes until golden, remove from oven and allow to cool for 5 minutes before serving.
- Mix creme fraiche and rosewater to serve with galettes.