VEGETABLES with HERBS AND SPICES
- Brush with either Herbie’s Greek Seasoning or Lamb Crust and BBQ Mix and olive oil before grilling slices on the barbecue. To 2 tablespoons oil, add 1 teaspoon of spice mix.
- Brush slices with olive oil and Berbere before cooking on a griddle or in a pan.
- Drain cubes of cooked potato and fry quickly in olive oil and brown mustard seeds or Panch Phora. Use enough seeds to give all sides of the potato a good coating.
- Add za’atar, ground rosemary or toasted sesame seeds to mashed potato.
- Add Balmain-Rozelle Spice mix to potato soup or buttered whole boiled baby chat potatoes.
- Sprinkle cauliflower cheese with hot Spanish paprika, Tigers Spice or Mexican Spice.
- Toss steamed florets in butter or oil with a little ground cumin and turmeric – about 2 teaspoons cumin and 1 teaspoon turmeric to a head of cauliflower. Or toss in Panch Phora or Shichimi Togarishi..
- Spice up cauliflower soup by adding a tablespoon of curry powder or Berbere to the stock
- Stir fry using sesame oil, with chilli flakes to taste and a small amount (say ¼ teaspoon)of Herbie’s Stir-Fry Spice or Shichimi Togarashi..
- Stir 1 Tabs Vegetable Curry in 1 Tabs olive oil, add 500g mixed vegetables and 1 can tomatoes. Simmer until cooked.
- Make a vegetarian Sambar or Tunisian Lentil Hotpot using the recipe on the back of the packs.
- Toss in butter and mint (of course!) or lemon myrtle or lemon grass (use sparingly).
- Toss in butter with a small amount of Balmain & Rozelle Spice or Lemon & Herb Pepper
Parsnip, carrot, onion, capsicum and beans
- Make a North African tagine (stew) using 2 teaspoons Herbie’s Tagine Mix to 500g vegetables, and serve with couscous. Add 1 teaspoon Herbie’s Ras el Hanout to make spiced couscous. For a more African flavour, use Berbere instead of Tagine Mix.
- Add a teaspoon of ground or grated ginger to mashed pumpkin, or sprinkle on pumpkin pieces when baking.
- Roast pumpkin and whole garlic cloves, puree with chicken stock and chermoula for a tasty soup.
- Mix 1 cup mashed pumpkin with ½ cup ricotta and 1 Tabs Chermoula. Serve in savoury pastry shells.
- Steam leaves with half teaspoon grated nutmeg to one bunch spinach/silverbeet.
- Stir-fry with sesame oil and golden sesame seeds.
- Steam with ½ teaspoon caraway seeds and serve with a cheese or cream sauce. Stir 1 tablespoon of chopped hazelnuts through for extra crunch and nutrition.
- Steam or microwave with honey and aniseed or ajowan seeds.
- Chop 500 g tomatoes, then simmer with 1 Tbs Italian Seasoning mix for a quick Italian sauce.
- Halve lengthwise, place cut side up in baking tray. Sprinkle with salt, pepper, a pinch of caster sugar, and enough sumac to cover the tomatoes. Slow roast at 100o C for 3-4 hours.
Squash and Zucchini
- Brown slices gently in butter, a little garlic and thyme (say, ½ teaspoon for 4 zucchini), Smokey Barbecue spice, Tunisian spice or Greek Seasoning..
- Brush with oil to which ground coriander and cinnamon have been added and grill for a Moroccan flavour, or use Greek Seasoning for a Mediterranean flavour.