Ian “Herbie” Hemphill visits South India, and makes Cochin Style Seafood at Brunton’s Boatyard Hotel in Cochin.
Here is the Recipe:
Cochin-style barbecued seafood Serves 4
- 2 tablespoons grated onion
- 6-8 curry leaves, crumbled
- pinch medium ground chilli
- 1 teaspoon garam masala
- ½ teaspoon salt
- 4 king tiger prawns, peeled and deveined
- 2 rock lobsters, halved lengthways
- 1 red onion, finely sliced
- ½ cup coriander leaves fresh
- 1 lime, cut into wedges
- Pound the onion and curry leaves together in a pestle and mortar to form a coarse paste.
- Stir in ground chilli, garam masala and salt and mix well.
- Brush mixture evenly onto seafood and allow to marinate for 30 minutes or as long as possible.
- Heat a barbecue grill or plate over medium high heat and cook seafood 4-5 minutes on each side or until cooked through.
- Serve hot, topped with onion rings, coriander and lime wedges.