- 3 cups (450g) self-raising flour
- 2 teaspoonsHerbie’s Spices Fragrant Sweet Spice
- 1 cup (250ml) thickened cream
- 1 cup (250ml) lemonade
- jam of choice and cream to serve if desired
- Preheat oven to 220 C and grease a baking tray or line it with baking paper.
- Sift the flour into a large bowl and add the spice mix. Make a well in the middle.
- In a jug, combine the lemonade and cream, then pour it into the well in your flour. Use a round-bladed knife to stir it in – only stir just enough to combine, as over-handling will make the scones heavy.
- Sprinkle a little extra flour over a clean work bench, and empty the bowl on to it. Using the very lightest of touches, bring the dough together into a big soft bundle, then flatten it all down to about 3 cm thick. Cut into scones – most people use a round cutter, but if you cut it into squares with a knife, there are very few leftover pieces.
- Place the scones on the tray, almost touching, and bake for about 10 minutes until nicely risen and golden on the top. Serve almost immediately whilst they are warm and mouth-wateringly soft and fluffy.