Herbies Spices Recipes
A Sichuan spice mix is not to be confused with Sichuan pepper, and is for Sichuan-style cooking that is generally high in chilli. This prawn dish is both hot and sweet with a gentle sourness.
2 teaspoons cornflour
1 cup cold water
½ egg white, beaten slightly
½ teaspoon salt
500g raw prawns, shelled, de-veined and rinsed
1 teaspoon cornflour
2 teaspoons cold water
1 tablespoon light soy sauce
1 ½ teaspoons honey or sugar
1 teaspoon white vinegar
2 tablespoons oil
2 teaspoons Herbie’s Spices Sichuan Chilli Spice Blend
2 spring onions, finely chopped
1 teaspoon grated fresh ginger
2 cloves garlic, crushed
- Make the marinade by mixing cornflour with cold water then adding egg white and salt.
- Add prawns.
- Mix well.
- Leave for 30 minutes.
- Mix cornflour and water, then stir in soy, honey, vinegar, salt and pepper. Set aside.
- Heat a wok, add oil and heat again.
- Fry Sichuan mix for 60 seconds, stirring all the time.
- Add drained prawns, and stir-fry prawns over high heat - do not overcook.
- Add spring onion, ginger and garlic.
- Stir cornflour marinade to make it smooth, then add to wok, stirring constantly until amalgamated.
- Turn off heat, stir and serve immediately with steamed rice.