This recipe takes us back to the lavender fields of Provence. The lavender and lemon marry perfectly in these dense but delicious olive oil cakes.
- 225g (1 cup) caster sugar 225g
- 3 eggs
- 250ml (1 cup) milk
- 2 lemons, juice and very finely grated zest
- 250ml (1 cup) extra virgin olive oil
- 230g (1½ cups) self raising flour
- 1 tbsp Herbie’s dried lavender
- icing sugar, blueberries and creme fraiche to serve (optional)
- Prepare a 12 hole muffin tray by greasing and dusting with flour. Preheat oven to 180C.
- Combine milk, lemon juice and zest and oil in a jug and whisk lightly together.
- Using an electric beater, mix sugar and eggs until pale and fluffy. Gradually add milk mixture, whisking lightly to incorporate.
- Fold flour and lavender gently into wet mix until all combined. Spoon cake mix into prepared tin and bake for 15-20 minutes until golden.
- Allow to cool for 10 minutes in tray before carefully removing to a wire rack. Serve warm or at room temperature. Eat on day of making or freeze cakes for up to 1 month.