This ham has been part of the Hemphill Christmas feast for many years, and continues to be enjoyed in the days following in sandwiches, salads, soups and omelettes. * Please note photograph is a 1kg boneless leg of ham made with half of marinade recipe below
Try making your own mustard with Herbie’s Spices Make Your Own Mustard Mix
- Preheat oven to 160C.
- Remove skin from ham; score the exposed ham fat into diamonds 2.5 cm apart and press a clove into the centre of each.
- Place ham in deep roasting pan. For glaze, mix marmalade with mustard and ground star anise and spoon liberally over the ham to coat thickly.
- Pour apple juice and stout into the base of the pan.
- Bake ham for 45 minutes, basting every 5-10 minutes with the juices.
- Remove from oven when golden and stand for about 15 minutes before slicing.
- If desired, the pan juices can be reduced down to a glaze and poured over the ham before cooling and slicing.
- Once cool, keep refrigerated between uses, covered with foil or a tea towel.
- Ham can be sliced and frozen in portions and kept for up to 3 months.