- 6 large eggs, separated
- 270g caster sugar
- zest of 2 blood oranges
- 125 ml (1/2 cup) blood orange juice
- 200g almond meal
- 75g plain flour
- 3 tsp Herbie’s Fragrant Sweet Spices
- sliced segments of 1 blood orange, to decorate cake
- Preheat oven 170C and line a 23cm springform tin.
- Cream egg yolks and sugar with electric beaters and pale and fluffy.
- Fold through zest, juice, ground almonds, flour and spice blend.
- Whisk egg whites until soft peaks and gently fold into cake mixture using a metal spoon.
- Decorate cake with orange segments and bake for 50-60 minutes until a skewer comes out clean.
- Cool in tin for 10 minutes before removing.
- Serve at room temperature or completely cooled, with creme fraiche if desired.