Herbies Spices Recipes
This recipe came about when we made turkey stock from the bones of the Christmas turkey. Adding pumpkin to make a soup seemed to begin an American theme, and the rest just fell into place to make a delicious, hearty, lunch soup, served with a tortilla.
4 cups chicken or turkey stock
1 onion, sliced
500g pumpkin, peeled and chopped
1/2 cup corn kernels
1/2 cup cooked rice
2 teaspoons Herbie's Spices Mexican Spice Mix
1/2 teaspoon Herbie's Spices Pasilla Chilli Powder
1 Tablespoon fresh coriander (cilantro) leaves, chopped
2 teaspoons lime juice
tortillas, for service
1. Saute onion in a little oil over low heat until softened and transparent.
2. Add stock and pumpkin, bring to boil, and cook until pumpkin is tender.
3. Remove from heat. When cool, puree the soup and return to the saucepan.
4. Over medium heat, heat the soup and add the corn kernels, rice, Mexican Spice Mix, Pasilla chilli powder, and half the fresh coriander leaves.
5. Serve into four soup bowls, sprinkle the remaining coriander leaves over, and drizzle 1/2 teaspoon lime juice over each bowl. Serve with tortillas.
This soup can be frozen.